We believe strongly in process and deep understanding. The standards we follow when teaching math are:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
Here are the power points and hand out used for the workshop:
Click HERE for the Powerpoint used in the auditorium
Click HERE for the hand outs given at the workshop
These hand outs explain the models we use at EVCS to have students show their mathematical thinking and explore their sense of numbers. Many of these models are visual representations of more standard algorithms and ways of solving problems.
Click HERE for the key fluencies we hope all students to have for each grade level.
As always, please reach out to your child's teacher for help with homework, ways to support your child, and ways to better understand what they're learning. And check out Seesaw for tips and ways to help your child too!