Kindergarten teacher, Clara, and Pre-K teacher, Evelyn, led an interactive workshop on supporting our youngest students as readers and writers.
During this 90 minute workshops, parents were invited to:
- Look at writing samples from Pre-K through 1st grade
- Look at samples of "just right" reading books for kindertarten
- Talk to Evelyn (PreK) and Clara (K) about literacy development and how to support young children's literacy development at home
- Listen to the book The Snowy Day read aloud and see how teachers interact with kids as they read
- Participate in interactive literacy centers based on the books
- Winter Cafe - write a menu for Peter and his friends. Make things for the cafe, then label them with names and prices
- Write in the snow - use salt trays for writing words, letters, and names
- Story extension - write your own snowy story
- Rhyming bingo - find words on your bingo card that rhyme with each word
- Reading center - enjoy books from classrooms, including other books by Ezra Jack Keats
Handouts and materials will be posted soon!